Our popular Armed Forces Day is returning for 2023 and will take place on Saturday 11th March when we host Morecambe at Montgomery Waters Meadow.
This year, we are delighted that British Army officer and astronaut Colonel Tim Peake, who is the Honorary Colonel of 9 Regiment Army Air Corps part of No.1 Flying Training School at Shawbury, will be flying into Montgomery Waters Meadow to hand over the match ball. He will then be hosted by our Chairman Roland Wycherley MBE and watch the match.
As usual, there will be a host of military-orientated activities going on around the ground and a Military Village will be set up just outside the FanZone where fans can speak to military personnel and get an understanding of some of the equipment they use.
The Military Village will consist of:
- E Company 8th Battalion will bring a plethora of military equipment.
- 202 Field Hospital Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) will bring information on how people can join their unit.
- 159 Company 101 Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) will bring a large recovery vehicle truck.
- HQ West Midlands Brigade Regional Engagement Team will bring along a BATAK reaction system, this is a various light push button system to test reflexes – free to try out.
- Shrewsbury Army Careers Office will bring along information on how to join the Army
- Shropshire Army Cadet Force will bring along information on kids can join, and how adult volunteers can join.