Shrewsbury Town have been awarded with Family Excellence Status for the 2022/23 season and joins a record number of 66 EFL clubs in achieving the accolade.
The EFL sent a family to two Shrewsbury Town games this season and they were in charge of judging their matchday experience at Montgomery Waters Meadow and ranking it against various criteria.
These criteria are: the website; ticket purchase; social media; travel; facilities; outside the stadium; retail and merchandise; refreshments inside the stadium; inside the stadium; people.
The first visit report was conducted by a family at our game at home against Burton Albion in September.
- Website videos for new fans and families are very informative
- Comprehensive club history section on the website
- Consistent branding across all club and foundation platforms
- No problems using online ticketing system
- Very knowledgeable and helpful staff in the ticket office
- Easy to find social media pages on the website
- Engaging, relevant, useful and balanced social media content
- Brand consistency and appropriate style and tones on social media
- Easy to find travel information on the club's website
- Park and Ride was very useful
- Great decoration around the stadium for children
- Stadium was clean and the area around it looked well kept
- Ticket office and social media platforms offered a great overview of the FanZone
- The programme was excellent and full of interesting content
- Lots of information around the stadium about past players, moments and managers
- The range of merchandise and clothing was very good
- The club does a good job in the club shop given the limited space
- Food in the concourse kiosks was well priced
- The stewards were very helpful
- All staff were very approachable and happy
AREAS TO IMPROVE:
- More details about the mascots Lenny, Penny, Blue and Amber on the website
- Couldn't always get through to the ticket office via the phone
- Social media content isn't family/ new fan specific
- No social media presence for the mascots
- Something to engage teenagers in the FanZone
- Limited space in the club shop
- More pitch-side activities before the game and at half-time
The second visit took place at our game at home against Wycombe Wanderers in February.
- Great videos on the first-time fan page of the website
- Really easy to access and navigate the website
- Had no problems contacting the ticket office
- Easy to use and understand the online ticketing site
- Very good social media content
- Very clear communication/ information re travel to the stadium
- Signage to the stadium was clear and clean
- Clean and clear concourses and toilets
- Very good programme. Well presented with a good balance of matchday information, history and a kids' section.
- Club shop does well given its size
- Good hygiene in the concourse food kiosks
- Lenny the Lion was excellent
- All stewards, staff and club representatives were very friendly and informative.
AREAS TO IMPROVE:
- Make the history section of the website more engaging with videos/images rather than just text
- Lack of two-way communication on social media
- Few healthy food options from the concourse kiosks
- More going on in the FanZone
- Small club shop
- Add entertainment before the game
The club is pleased with these results and will take note of the feedback in an attempt to improve the matchday experience for families next season.